Responses to Finlay's 2008 Article

The main questions I looked at while critiquing this article were:

  1. What is/are the points in the article that captivate your attention? In which way?
  2. What reflective model(s) do you find most suitable to use? Explain why?

The article provided many differing opinions and models for teachers to use. I agreed with the example of Grushka, Hinde-McLeod and Reynolds (2005) (pay walled site) that stated there are two distinguishable categories – ‘reflection in action‘ and ‘reflection on action‘. These can be further broken down into specific sub sections that allow a more detailed approach to reflective thinking.Technicalpractical and critical areas that force us to ask specific questions as we go through the process of self reflection. Additionally, Finlay 2008, p.1) states that 
"reflective practice is the process of learning through and from experience towards gaining new insights of self and/or practice" 
This resonated with me because during this course I have examined the assumptions of my everyday practice. I consider myself to be a critical and self-aware when evaluating my practice. As a learner I constantly critically reflect on how lessons go in order to gain new understandings and so improve my practice. As I consider myself a life-long learner, something I wish to role model to my students.

Another point that caught my attention was the idea of critical reflection. I agree with Fook, White and Gardner (2006, p.9) that reflection on its own tends to:
“remain at the level of relatively undisruptive changes in techniques or superficial thinking” .  
In my own reflection on my practice, just as Fook, White and Gardner (2006, p.9) I have considered the social and political aspects of education that:
“enables an understanding of the way (socially dominant) assumptions may be socially restrictive, and thus enables new, more empowering ideas and practices. Once individuals become aware of the hidden power of ideas they have absorbed unwittingly from their social contexts, they are then freed to make choices on their own terms.” 
My reflections have lead me to challenge a lot of assumptions on which or education system is based on. For example the obsession with age groups only be cognitively able to attain a certain understanding of a concept. So I find this concept of incorporating the underlying social and political aspects of education into reflecting on practice as critical in developing a practice that truly benefits 21st century learners.

Another point which I considered pertinent in my own reflective practice is when the focus on reflection is at the level of the individual teacher. As, just like the author I see it as a means by which schools can place all the responsibility on the individual teacher for his/her practice. Fostering good practice becomes a matter for the teacher rather than the school. For example, a teacher may focus exclusively on his/her own role in dealing with a student failing a subject, thereby failing to question the school policy which may have contributed to that student failing. 

Reflective practice is seen as compulsory and is assessed by senior management. This can lead to reflections becoming superficial and strategic, with no effective change in practice. As with students, when reflection is assessed, any genuine, honest, critical self-examination is curtailed. Hobbs (2007, p.413) states, 
“reflection and assessment are simply incompatible”
In my own practice, when I feel compelled to write ‘what the senior leadership wants’. I developed antagonism towards reflecting on my classroom practice, which I then saw as a box ticking exercise. I adopted a minimalist approach, writing just enough to meet the requirements rather than critically evaluating how I could change my practice without repercussions. Recently, my school has made the reflective process between teachers and not involving senior management.

However, I agree with the author that reflection on practice is both potentially stressful and ethically challenging, therefore it is important that teachers are given plenty of time and are well supported when they engage in reflecting on their practice. They need to feel safe and to have access to others who are effective at reflecting and on whom they can model.

References:



Hobbs, V. (2007) Faking it or hating it: can reflective practice be forced? Reflective Practice, 8(3), pp.405- 417.

White, S., Fook, J., & Gardner, F. (2006). Critical reflection in health and social care. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).

Grushka, K., McLeod, J. H., & Reynolds, R. (2005). Reflecting upon reflection: Theory and practice in one Australian university teacher education program.Reflective Practice6(2), 239-246.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Branching Out in Physics Lessons with Decision Trees

How to Assess Learning in the Age of AI

ISTE23 - The Power of Connections